Saturday, January 24, 2009

Artistic Talent Abounds - Part 1

Pottery by Jane Perala
Pottery by Jane Perala

It dawned on me the other day that my family is riddled with artistically talented people. Funny that I never thought about it before but it has always been that way.

I've always loved to create things....be it sewing, crafting, cooking, gardening or soaping and I now I can see why.

Over the next few days I will showcase a few of my families artistic talents. I'm sure I will be missing some very talented members but alas I do not have pictures of everyones wonderful creations. (This is a hint to anyone in my family who has something to show off....now would be the time!)

I'm going to start off with the most talented person I know.....My Mother, Jane Perala. As you can see by the photos on this page, she is very artistic and it shows in all forms of media she pursues.

Pottery by Jane Perala
Pottery by Jane Perala

As a child growing up, I remember my mother sewing things for me quite often. In particular I remember a nightie, a dressing gown, a suit (didn't like it!) and a lovely doll that only recently gave in to the ravages of playful children.

Later my Mom took up the hobby of Pottery. In no time at all her talent exceeded that of her teacher and she was asked by the Community College (where the classes were held) to take over and teach the class.

Over the years, my Mother took her hobby and turned it into a thriving business. Our back yard sported a large propane tank and massive fire brick kiln. My Mom doesn't do things in a 'Small' way!

Mohair Teddy Bear by Jane Perala
Mohair Teddy Bear by Jane Perala

Eventually she lost the desire to pot and developed an interest in collectible mohair teddy bears. Far be it for my Mother to just make up a couple with pre-made patterns....no...she had to develop and design her own versions.

She soon was selling the bears and the patterns in magazines, online and at specialty craft fairs. Her bears have also been featured in a couple of beautiful coffee table books (of which I have my own copies!)

Lampwork bead by Jane Perala
Lampwork Bead by Jane Perala

During her teddy bears years she persuaded me to join her in making handmade soaps. She took a one year hiatus from the bears and we went crazy...did I mention that she doesn't do 'small'.

We made so much soap that we ended up starting a soap making business which I took over when she went back to her bears.

Lampwork bead by Jane Perala
Lampwork Bead by Jane Perala

Jump forward many years and many bears later.

Lampwork is the new black and my Mother has invested herself fully into this new passion. As you can see, her talent is evident in pretty much anything she applies herself too. This art form should keep her busy until it's time for her to retire and take up a different challenge.

Wonder what that will be? Painting? Nah.......probably metalwork!! She'd get to play with bigger flames.

4 comments:

RockerJewlz said...

Wow! All that from one artist. How great Jane keeps allowing herself to evolve...is there a website where we can actually BUY her beads now?

Jane Perala said...

Hmmmm, metalwork! A bigger torch, I'll have to think about that one.

Cathy Winsby said...

RockerJewlz.....She'll be getting one together soon. Within the next couple of months....right Mom?

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Wow, what beautiful work your mother does! I am in love with the bears!

(Visiting from SITS.)