Friday, January 30, 2009

Creamy Lemon Bars

I have a weakness for lemons and this Christmas I tried to make some lemon bars that were gluten free.

I failed miserably!! They had an awful after-taste, probably because I made the shortbread crust with a bean based flour.....not good. I threw them all out. What a waste of lemons!

Not one to give up, I came across a recipe in one of Martha's Everyday Food magazines and decided to give it a go gluten free style.

Well to say the least, they were a complete success. Everyone loved them and they were completely gone by the next day! Yummy lemony goodness!

Creamy Lemon Bars

1/2 Cup margarine, softened
1/2 Cup icing sugar
1/4 tsp salt
Zest of one lemon
1 Cup Gluten free flour
(I used 1/4 Cup tapioca flour and 3/4 cup brown rice flour)
**Note - sub in regular flour if you don't need gluten free.

Combine above ingredients and mix until a soft dough forms. Press into a square 8 x 8inch cake pan that has been lined with parchment paper and greased with cooking spray. Prick all over with a fork and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

2 large eggs, beaten well with a fork
1 can sweetened condensed milk (300 ml)
3/4 Cup lemon juice
(approx. the juice of 2 lemons - top up with bottled if you don't have enough)
Zest of one lemon

Combine next 4 ingredients and mix well. Pour mixture over the hot shortbread crust and return to the oven for another 30 minutes or so....until the custard begins to crack.

Remove lemon bars from oven and allow to cool in the pan. Leave in the pan and refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight. Remove from pan and carefully cut into 9 - 16 squares (we cut into 9). Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.

Enjoy! I ate 3 of them :)

2 comments:

Jane said...

Are they similar to the ones you used to make when you lived at home? They were really yummy.

Kathy said...

Good for you for trying again. My adult daughter has to eat gluten free. I'm going to send her to your blog for that recipe. She'll love it!

Thanks for the nice compliment on my blog. I appreciate it!

Kathy
FourDogDay