Sunday, January 4, 2009

Cumberland Pie Recipe

Serving of Cumberland Pie
Tonight I felt like some comfort food for a change after all the goodies I've been eating over the holidays. Something simple and not too rich.

Cumberland Pie is the recipe that came to mind and it's been quite some time since I last made it. This tasty recipe is inexpensive and usually makes enough that I don't have to cook the following night. I really, really like that part!

This dish is great served with a side salad and/or buns. Sorry the picture isn't very exciting...I need practice at photographing food.


Cumberland Pie

2 slices Bacon (or equivalent in bacon bits)
1 kg (2.2 lbs) Ground Beef
4 Cups finely diced veggies (such as carrots, cauliflower, celery, broccoli, mushrooms)
1/3 Cup of Flour (I use Bob's Redmill Gluten-Free All-purpose)
1 tsp. Garlic, minced
1 tsp. Tarragon, dried
1 pkg. Onion Soup Mix, Lipton
(or Gluten-Free version)
2 Cups Water (try substituting 1/2 of red wine or sherry for some water for extra flavour)
1 - 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese (optional)
Mashed Potatoes (optional - I cheated and used instant)

Scramble fry the bacon and ground beef. Drain off excess fat. Put the meat into a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Mix together the veggies, flour, tarragon, garlic and onion soup mix. Add to casserole and mix well. Top with water and bake at 350 degrees F. for 1 hour or until the veggies are tender and the sauce is thick.

I usually serve this as a Shepherds Pie - topped with cheese and then mashed potatoes. I then brown it in the oven to heat the potatoes through.

It can also be served as a pastry pie - Divide the mix between 2 or 3 deep dish pastry shells. Top with cheese and pastry. Bake until pastry is golden.

Enjoy!

No comments: