Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Barcardi Peach Cake

A few years ago my Auntie Sally made a cake that I absolutely love. I think it's original name is Fruit Cocktail Cake and it is incredibly simple to make.

Since realizing I couldn't eat gluten anymore, I haven't made this cake and I miss it very much. The other night I decided to see what I could do about making it gluten free. I did a couple of searches online but unfortunately the only thing I found that appealed to me was the Bacardi Rum Cake which of course is gluten-full!

I then pulled out the original recipe and decided to just run with it. This is the resulting recipe.

Bacardi Peach Cake

1/2 Cup Tapioca flour *(replace tapioca flour, cornstarch and rice flour with 1 3/4 Cups regular flour for a non-gluten free cake)
1/2 Cup Cornstarch
3/4 Cup Rice flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
*(omit if using regular flour)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 Cups sugar
1 14 oz. can peaches, diced
(including the juice)
2 eggs

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour cake batter into 2 lightly greased round cake pans (you can use a 9 x 13 for the regular flour cake). Allow to sit for 15 minutes while heating the oven. Bake cake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 - 40 minutes or until it tests done. Be careful with the gluten free version...opening and closing the oven door can make the cake fall.

Cool cake in the pan.

I deviated from the original recipe here because I felt like that Bacardi Rum cake!

1/2 Cup butter or margarine
1/4 Cup orange juice concentrate
1 Cup sugar
1/3 Cup of Bacardi Rum


Place all ingredients into a pot and cook over medium heat until it boils. Prick holes into the top of the cakes and slowly pour this mixture over them. Don't worry that it feels like your drowning them. They soak everything up very nicely.

Leave the cake to cool completely...it tastes best the next day. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

Here is the original glaze which is very yummy as well.

1 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup butter
2/3 Cup evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla extract


Follow the same cooking instructions as the Bacardi glaze.

Makes 12 servings.

We've already eaten one of the cakes and my daughter and I quite enjoyed it. My son however (13 years old) said that the rum tasted too strong and likes the old glaze better.

Funny...at 13 I would have loved a cake soaked in rum....wonder what that says about me? Who cares...the cakes great! Enjoy.

4 comments:

Jane said...

OOOhhh - I remember that cake! It was really yummy. I will have to make it again - after my diet!!

Cathy Winsby said...

My son just read the blog entry and wasn't happy. He says that I make him sound like a "pansy"....lol!

Mary Moore said...

OMG, that looks GOOOOOOOD!!

Amy W said...

Hi Cathy! My mom has celiac and has some really great recipes for cake too! :) I'll have to share this one with her.

Congratulations on your review at Anne Marie's blog! That's quite an accomplishment!