Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Double Chocolate Brownie Bites

The last couple of days have not been very productive for me. For some reason my energy levels have dipped to an all time low and I've occupied my time with sleeping and reading. Basically doing nothing!

So this morning when I got up I decided that some sort of project was in order. I settled on baking some cookies and I started whipping up a batch. The trouble started when I decided to get creative, replacing this ingredient with that ingredient. Mixing and blending with great flourish as though I was some wannabe gourmet chef attempting to attain fame on "Hell's Kitchen". Big Mistake!! Gordon Ramsay would have had a field day!

Yuck is about all I can say about those "cookies". Back to the drawing board. I really need to curb my creative side sometimes....it gets far too expensive to experiment all the time. I have to keep focused on taking baby steps rather than hurdling by leaps and bounds into unknown territory. A chef I am NOT.

Out came the cookbooks and with only a few (fairly minor) ingredient swaps, I produced these tasty little morsels that are quite reminiscent of brownies...hence the name I dubbed them with.

These cookies are gluten-free as usual but feel free to replace the flours with that gluey wheat stuff that is more commonly used.

Double Chocolate Brownie Bites

1 Cup brown rice flour
1/2 Cup all purpose GF flour blend
(Bob's Redmill was my choice)
1/2 Cup ground almonds
1/4 Cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
(omit if using regular flour)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tablespoon instant coffee
(optional)

Combine above ingredients and set aside.

1 Cup margarine, shortening or butter
1-1/3 Cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 Cup chocolate chips
3/4 Cup raisins


Cream margarine, add sugar and mix until smooth. Blend in eggs, one at a time until incorporated. Add in extract, chips and raisins.

Slowly blend the two mixes together until flour is fully mixed in. Drop by spoon fulls onto lined or greased cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheets and cool on racks. Makes 3 dozen cookies.

I've now eaten 3 cookies and no breakfast so I'm off to nibble on something healthy like an orange.

Have a great day! :)

No comments: