Over the last year I have continually read soap makers going on and on and on about how much fun melt and pour soap making is!
I'm a die hard cold process soap maker and have been making my soaps for 10 years without ever considering going over to melt and pour. A couple of weeks ago I thought "what the heck" and ordered some so I could give it a try.
Ohhhh Dear! It was sooo much fun! Look at these cute little shaving soaps. I think I'm in love. Sigh.....now I'm going to have to source out a reasonably priced supplier! Since I'm pretty sure I'm hooked on this form of soap making as well!
Since I had never attempted melt and pour before, I had to do a little research first. That called for a visit to Teach Soap, Anne-Marie Faiola's website on soap making.
I kept it simple for my first try. After ordering the melt and pour soap, I started saving our fruit cup containers to use as molds. Once the soap arrived I made some curls out of my regular white soap (it was a little too cured so it cracked on some pieces) and put them in the mold containers.
I decided to make each soap a different color and scent since I had only ordered 2 lbs of the shaving soap. I cubed up the soap, weighed out 110 grams, added some mica and melted it in the microwave. Once it was melted, mixed and cooled I added the scent.
The next step seemed to be the hardest for me.....I kept forgetting to spritz the embeds with rubbing alcohol! Darn it! I'd say 2 or 3 of these little cuties might fall apart on me later but I don't care. Live and learn.
I also sprayed the tops with the alcohol to get rid of the bubbles. Once I was done making all eight soaps, I put them on a tray and left them overnight to harden. When I got up this morning, they were the first thing I went too! I was that excited.
I grabbed the first one I made and it popped right out of the mold. Yeah! So I grabbed the second...hmmmm.....not budging....the third....nope....and so on! Nuts! None of the rest would come out of the molds. Fine! I tossed them in the freezer for about a 1/2 hour.
Once I took them out I left them on the counter for about 10 minutes so they could warm slightly. I think it's the temperature change that helps to release them. I still had to run a knife around the top edge but they all came out great after that.
I could probably ramble on some more but I think I'd rather go take a bath and try out my new soaps!
Have a great day everyone!