Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Profound Words from a Child

Severn Suzuki gave this speech to world leaders at 1992's UN Earth Summit when she was 12 years old. I completely missed it. How sad.

In 1992 I was a self absorbed 24 year old....not much has changed really, except my age and my circle of absorption includes family. This child who was half my age felt so passionate about our planet that she was able to get up in front of the most powerful people in this world and tell them what a crappy job they were doing. Wow!!

Time to re-evaluate how I manage my little world and see what small things I can do to make a difference.

3 comments:

Mary @ Annie's Goat Hill said...

I agree, wow!

Mary Moore said...

Very powerful stuff, and yes, always out of the mouths of babes...

She must be David Suzuki's daughter?

Cathy Winsby said...

Yes, she is David Suzuki's daughter.