Friday, April 24, 2009

Build a Soap Curing Rack

Recently I've received some requests for instructions on how to build this lovely drying rack my Dad made for me. There really aren't any but I'll explain it the best I can.

1. Pick up one of those cheap pine build-it-yourself shelving units from Walmart, Zellers, Canadian Tire, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

2. Build it.

3. Cut rectangles of 3/8 plywood that measure the inner length and width of each shelf. Cut about 12 of them.

4. Cut slats of wood to fasten on the shelves and on the shelving unit to support the extra shelves. I have some slats that are made of metal as well.



5. Attach the slats to the inside of the shelving unit so that the soap trays will be able to slide on them and be supported. (look at the bottom picture to see where they are located).

6. Build the soap trays using the rectangular plywood pieces and the remaining slats of wood. Each rectangle will have a slat fixed to the short edge and then across the front edge. The front slats will be raised off of the plywood and fixed to the side slats....see the slat picture.

Slide the shelves in and that's it. My directions are crappy, I know, but hopefully you can tell by looking at the pictures what I'm talking about.

I can't even begin to describe how wonderful this shelf is. It saves space and the shelves come off so you can take them to where you are working and then return them full of soaps.

Hopefully you'll enjoy them as much as I do.

4 comments:

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

Amazing, what you do. I just want to know how you make those soaps look so lovely!

Anonymous said...

Cathy, thank you so much for instructions on the curing rack-sorry I ended up leaving so many comments, I didn't realize they won't show until they are approved- :) Love your soaps! Good luck at the market too...
Stephanie
Washington State

innerearthsoaps said...

Oh my goodness, I am drooling over this curing rack! I want one!!

Daisy Soap Girl said...

Curing racks are great but soaps are better.