Thursday, April 30, 2009

Medieval Castle Project

Medieval Castle ProjectMy son is in Grade 8 and was assigned this project for his Humanities class. At first, I have to admit, I didn't appreciate his teacher very much for sending this sort of assignment home. And by home I mean....the whole project was to be done at home....which basically translates into me getting to teach my son all about a subject I know nothing about.

Thankfully, the teacher sent home detailed instructions. I was also grateful that it was a crafty type of project since I can handle those.

So Nick and I surfed the Net for some ideas to try and get motivated. We found quite a bit of information and once we got started, it was actually quite fun. I think we might have gotten carried away.

Jousting KnightsHere are a couple of Knights jousting in front of the castles portcullis (the gate looking thing). I learned a thing or two about castles while helping Nick...:)

Lord of the CastleHere is the Lord of the Castle observing his domain.

Lady of the CastleAnd the Lady of the Castle is reclining in her chamber.

Knight, Squire and Page.A Knight, Squire and Page are conversing in the corner by the mew which is filled with birds.

StableOver here we have the stable and the Farrier. Notice the man up in the cage? Hmmm...I wonder what he did to deserve that? He must have been very naughty indeed.

Garderobe PipeOne must not forget to include the Garderobe pipe (drain pipe for the toilet) and of course the poor unfortunate soul who got trapped there trying to infiltrate the castle during the last siege. What a terrible way to go.

I hope you enjoyed the tour!!

4 comments:

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

That is awesome!! It looks like it was loads of fun to do, and some nice time to spend together!

Mate said...

how much for the castle i will pay big $$$$

Cathy Winsby said...

Sorry but it's not for sale...thanks anyway.

Anonymous said...

What was the covering of the cardboard castle?????
I am also doing the same thing and I have to do it at home too! But I'm in grade four though!