Sunday, May 24, 2009

Tasty Gluten-Free Granola Bars

Over the past month I've been finding it rather hard to eat breakfast. Three to five days a week I'm up at 4:30 - 5:00 in the morning, I pack my truck with my soapy goodies and I'm on the road headed to a farmers' market by 6:00 - 6:30. About the only thing I can stomach at that time of the morning is a cup of coffee or tea.

Being on a gluten-free diet seriously reduces my choices in snack-like breakfast fare. All the breakfast bars available at the grocery stores seem to contain wheat (like most packaged foods) and the GF versions....yeah, complete cardboard in terms of taste...sorry but I'd rather starve.

Last year I came across this granola bar recipe and have been baking them weekly for my snack and breakfast fare. They taste great, are easy to carry with me, and they are good for me too! My only problem is keeping them in the house. My son and husband, who can eat anything wheat filled, are quite enjoying my gluten-free granola bars and they disappear far too quickly.

Here's my version of the recipe...I double it every time!

Gluten Free Granola Bars

1 Cup Oats, GF
2 Cups Gluten-Free Cereal (rice crisp or high fiber)
1 Cup Nut mixture, chopped (pecans, walnuts, sunflower seeds, almonds)
1 Cup Dried Fruit (berries, raisins, cranberries, apricots, apples)
1/4 Cup Sesame Seeds
1/4 Cup Flax Seeds (must be ground since your body won't digest them whole)
1/2 Cup Coconut (sweet or not...your choice)
1 - 2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips (totally optional...this just satisfies my extreme sweet tooth)

Blend all ingredients well and set aside.

1/3 Cup Olive Oil
1/2 - 2/3 Cup Sugar (honey, rice syrup, raw sugar...whatever type you like)

Combine the above two ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for a couple of minutes. Pour over granola mixture and blend until the granola is completely covered in the sugar mix.

Press firmly into a 9 x 13 greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 10 - 15 minutes or until golden. Careful not to burn it. Let it cool completely (overnight) and then cut into bars with a sharp knife. Enjoy!!

Joanna from Product Body recently posted about loosing weight eating specific foods and this recipe actually covers 4 out of the 7 listed. My recipe might be a little too high in the sugar department but you can fix that if you like :)....or not!

3 comments:

Patrice @ The Soap Seduction said...

Yummm...I have to try this one. Thanks!

eowynsheildmaiden said...

That looks great, I just tried it, it's gonna be in the oven pretty soon :)

Diana said...

I just made the gluten-free granola bar recipe this afternoon. It's definitely a keeper! As the oil/sugar mixture was simmering (I used equal amounts of olive oil/honey/brown sugar to make the syrup), I just stirred together whatever I had on hand--oats, coconut, mini-chocolate chips, sesame seeds, currants, pecan halves, gluten free rice krispies (they're made from brown rice, btw)--poured the hot syrup over the oat mixture, tossed it all together and baked 10 minutes. So easy. And so very tasty!

Thanks so much for sharing!