Thursday, September 17, 2009

Gluten Free Pizza

gluten free pizzaAlmost everyone loves a good pizza. So you can imagine how depressing it is when you can't just order one anymore....and when every recipe you come across tastes like either mush or cardboard.

Well not anymore! I've found the perfect recipe for a great tasting gluten free pizza crust. The picture above does not do the pizza justice, I'm afraid. It smelled soooo tasty that I didn't spend much time trying to take a good photo. The kids and I pretty much just dove in and devoured it rather quickly.

While I was making the crust (my counters scattered to the brim with ingredients) I got to thinking. How often am I going to make this if I have to make such a mess every time? Not often I'd bet. So my next thought was, "Why not just measure out a couple of batches and ziplock them for later?" Like a mix. Yeah! Great idea! So that's what I did.

Here is the recipe, slightly changed from the original as usual.

Gluten Free Pizza Crust

Place these ingredients in a ziplock bag for later use. I suggest marking the bag with the date and using within a month or two.

• 1/3 cup brown rice flour
• 1/3 cup sweet sorgham flour
• 1/2 cup tapioca flour or potato starch
• 2 tablespoons flax meal (optional)
• 1/2 teaspoon sugar
• 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
• 1 teaspoon garlic seasoning (or other seasoning of choice)

When you're ready to make pizza, place the contents of the ziplock bag into a bowl and add the following ingredients.

• 1 tablespoon dry yeast
• 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (optional)
• 2 tablespoons milk powder (dairy, coconut, nondairy)
• 2/3 cup water (110 degrees F)
• 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon cider vinegar

Directions:

o Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
o Mix all ingredients on low speed until blended.
o Scrape down sides and beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
o The dough should be soft and sticky, much like cookie dough.
o Place the mixture on a lightly greased pizza pan and sprinkle with rice flour.
o Press the dough flat until it covers the pan, continuing to sprinkle with flour if needed.
o Make the edges slightly thicker to hold in the toppings.
o Bake the pizza crust for 10 - 15 minutes.
o Remove from oven and spread with sauce and toppings.
o Bake another 10 - 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the top is nicely browned.

Enjoy!

No comments: