Wednesday, September 16, 2009

It's Apple Season

Lately, apples have been featured in our local grocery store fliers at much more affordable prices. For some reason, when food is on sale, I feel the need to stock up and I usually end up with a bit of a surplus.

Thankfully I have a couple of handy dandy gadgets that make processing apples a snap. The first gadget would be the apple peeler/corer pictured above. My mother-in-law gave this too me when my daughter (now 15) was first born. If you don't have one....get one! I mean it! You won't know how you lived without it.

The second gadget is a dehydrator. I must admit that I don't use this for a lot of things but I do use it a lot for ONE thing. Making apple chips. My family loves them. Quite often I'll open up the dehydrator and half the apple chips are gone before they are even done!

It's a good thing they are so easy to make! Simply peel and core the apples with gadget #1, cut in half and place on the drying racks. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon for variety if you like and turn the dehydrator on.

Then you just walk away for the next 6 hours or so. Once the apple slices have a leathery feel to them (some like to dehydrate until they are crispy), turn off the machine and allow them to cool. To store the apple chips, place them in a Ziploc bag or airtight container.

You can use apple chips in a variety of ways. I cut them up and add them to granola bars, cereal and trail mix. You could put them in cookies, slices or cakes like you do with raisins. Or just eat them straight out of the bag!

My biggest problem with apple chips is keeping them around long enough to put them into anything....not such a bad problem, huh?

No comments: