Thursday, November 12, 2009

Give the Gift of Gluten Free


Holiday time can be somewhat depressing for those unable to eat gluten rich foods. It's so sad really....think holiday goodies and you'll probably have a hard time coming up with many that don't involve wheat flour.

I love holiday baked goods! Actually, I adore them! When I realized that I couldn't eat flour anymore, my main thought next to not eating bread was "What about the Christmas baking?"

I've yet been able to replace sandwich bread to my satisfaction but I have found that sweets like cakes, brownies and cookies can be very good indeed. In fact, I have found some recipes that are definitely just as good as wheat flour baking.

Previously, I blogged a brownie recipe that I really love. There's only one problem ....I hate getting all the ingredients out to make it. So much work and such a huge mess for one tray of brownies.

With that thought in mind, I reworked my favorite brownie recipe into a mix. Now I just have to pull the ingredients out once in awhile, make up a bunch of mixes and put them away until the urge for brownies hits. When it does, all I have to do is grab a mix, add eggs, vanilla and oil and cook. How easy is that? Really easy...the only thing easier would be for someone to make the mixes for me!

Which is where giving the gift of gluten free comes in. If you know someone (or are someone) who can't have gluten, I bet they would love to receive a gift that not only feeds their cravings for baked goods but is fast and easy as well.

This recipe is a little different than the original recipe I posted and I like it even more...the brownies are thicker and the texture is smoother.

Gluten Free Brownie Mix

1 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Tapioca Flour/Starch
1/4 Cup Corn Starch
1/4 Cup Gluten Free Flour (I use Sweet Sorghum or Brown Rice)
1/3 Cup Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 Cup Chocolate Chips or Chopped Nuts (optional)

Place all ingredients into containers and seal. I line up large plastic cups on the counter and place a cellophane bag into each cup. I then measure out the sugar into each bag and then follow with the rest of the ingredients. Once you've measured out all the ingredients add a tag giving the directions as follows.

Chocolate Brownies

Add ½ cup melted margarine or oil, 2 lightly beaten eggs and 1 tsp vanilla extract to contents of package. Mix. Pour into greased 8 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Do not overcook. Cool and slice.


I serve these brownies with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce...sooooo good!

Here's the hot fudge sauce recipe. It's very tasty and will keep for quite a few days in the fridge...if it's around that long!

Hot Fudge Sauce

In a small sauce pan combine the following:

4 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
6 Tbsp Water
1/2 Cup Sugar
3 Tbsp Butter/Margarine

Bring mixture to a full boil and remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly then add 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.

Enjoy!!
PS...the tags in the picture mention that the brownies will fall...not anymore...not since I reworked the recipe. Good and thick they are now!

No comments: